Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tune Up Tips

Some things I have learned so far in tuning up the Shogun:

- The frame is really about 1-2 cm too small for me, but I can make do. I like the saddle high and set back in order to get as much extension in my long legs as possible.

- I had the brake levers too high on the handlebar. This made it hard to squeeze them tight from the hoods, since the pulling motion was directed at an awkward angle, towards my feet. It's better to have the brake levers lower so they're perpendicular to the ground; this way, the pulling motion is horizontal towards the body and my hands get more power.

- New brake pads are a very good thing.

- To center the brake calipers over the wheel, play with the front and rear bolts that attach them to the frame. Center the brake by hand, and then tighten the bolts to be snug--not too tight, or the calipers won't move; not too loose, or they'll be wobbly. It takes some experimenting to get it right. (Thanks to the cool folks at The Bikery who helped me with this!)

- Cleaning a mildy gunky chain doesn't require removing it first. Start from the bottom and spray a bit of cleaner (Simple Green is a good biodegradeable option) on each link along the length. Use a rag to loosen/wipe the dirt away by rubbing vigorously. Then wipe away the cleaner fluid with a rag dampened with water. Pedal backwards to move the chain along, and repeat. Let dry for a few hours, then oil the chain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home