Friday, September 15, 2006

Test Run: Capitol Hill to Mercer Island

I took my road bike around Mercer Island today--it's a route I've done on my mountain bike before. This time I studied the map a little bit to figure out the best way to get there from Capitol Hill, where I live. This is what I came up with:

- Go S on 12th Ave
- Go E on S Jackson St
- Go S on 20th Ave S
- Head E on the bike trails in the little parks that run alongside I-90 (Judkins and Sam Smith were two of the park names I saw)
- Go through the tunnel
- Take the I-90 trail across Lake Washington

I find the I-90 trail a bit intimidating as it's not terribly wide and I have an irrational fear of falling into the water. But it's really fine, especially if you take it slow. There are roads that go around the entire perimeter of Mercer Island. There's very little traffic, lots of trees, some public beaches, parks on the north end, and some very cool views.

The bike did very nicely on the 20 miles. Some notes:

- I didn't push the speed since the island has some sharp turns and I didn't feel comfortable cornering them fast. Still, the bike felt pleasingly fast. Even with my little homemade trunk bag carrying snacks, windbreaker, etc.
- The rear wheel has a squeak somewhere. Needs a drop of oil.
- I wonder if the tires could use a bit more air. They say 85 psi max; I filled them to about 60, I think.
- Getting used to the increased braking time is tricky. I'm accustomed to being able to stop on a dime.
- My biggest problem was quickly getting in and out of the toe clips. I had a few embarassingly clumsy dismounts at traffic lights but luckily I didn't fall or crash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home